Friday, April 25, 2008

Shopping around Shoes

I set out last week to buy myself a new pair of shoes. I found what I was looking for at Nine West, where for $89.00 (a steal, if you ask me) I became the proud owner of these fabulous platform wedge gladiators (below & 1). They're light, and comfortable, and look amazing (in fact, a woman saw me trying them on and asked for a pair herself!).. but when I got home, I realized I had no clue how to wear them. I brought them in to work at Basic Basic for some help.


With Megan's help, I set out to match clothing to my new shoes. Who hasn't planned an outfit around a favorite pair of shoes? I know I'm not the only one. So I'm sharing my findings here. A sort of how-to wear this season's must-have sandal: the Gladiator.


Click to enlarge.

To start with, I knew I needed something hot to wear this out with. We went with long Tart leggings (2) - they're thin and tight, with a little sheen. If you prefer a thicker legging, So Low makes a great pair. On top is this Ruffle Tank by Parker Blue (3). It's long enough to cover all your questionable areas, and the ruffles add a sexy twist. Juicy's Sleeveless Ruffle Front Top is a nice summery alternative, or if you prefer something a little simpler, this Sleeveless Ruffle Tunic by Zooey has the same feel with less flounce.

On the other hand, I wanted to try the shoes with something girly, but not necessarily sexy. After trying on a few dresses with no luck, Megan grabbed Young, Fabulous, & Broke's Silk-blend Melrose dress (4). We found that the shoes looked best with an A-line skirt. The Melrose dress flows beautifully, and the pleating on the chest gives it a sweet little babydoll feeling. This Sleeveless Tiered Dress by Splendid ran a close second to the Melrose. To dress the sandals up, you can try Susanna Monaco's Pleated Scoop Tank Dress.

Finally I needed something to slum around in. Dressing these babies down was easier than I expected. I grabbed my new favorite white tee (Petit Bateau's Short Sleeve Light V-Neck.. it's their new super-thin fabric. I wish all my shirts flattered me like this one!) On top of that I threw on Juicy's Jacquard Terrycloth hoodie (5) in a color called "So Sari." I love the drawstring bottom, and the wide hood. So comfy! Kritik's hoodies are just as fantastic, and come in some seriously vibrant colors. A denim mini skirt or your favorite jeans will look great to finish off this outfit.

So I left the store a happy camper, with lots of new clothes (yay!) and tons of ideas, and hopefully helped a few of you that found themselves in the same situation. I'm debuting the shoes this weekend - wish me luck!


rachel rose

No comments: